Based on my latest reading, these are my current top 5 recommended books for parenting kids who have traumatic backgrounds and/or challenging behaviors… I really love these books because they give you a framework from which to see the child and are easy to start implementing (though they take a lot of practice).
- Beyond Consequences, Logic & Control, Heather Forbes
- Attachment-focused Parenting, Daniel Hughes
- The Whole Brain Child, Daniel Siegel
- The Explosive Child, Ross Greene
- Unconditional Parenting, Alfie Kohn
I also highly recommend brushing up on childhood development, especially early childhood and elementary years since many of our kids are stuck there socially or emotionally. I just love these books, and many of them are just great for helping me learn how to deal better with ANYONE — not just my kids.